Zodiac signs fall into one of three modalities: Cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable. Each modality has certain characteristics in common.
- Cardinal signs initiate action
- Fixed signs maintain stability
- Mutable signs are flexible and adaptable
The modalities mirror the seasons of the year.
Cardinal signs start (initiate) each of the four seasons, which begin on an equinox or solstice.
In the Northern hemisphere:
- Aries – Spring equinox
- Cancer – Summer solstice
- Libra – Fall equinox
- Capricorn – Winter solstice
Fixed signs fall completely within (maintain) their respective seasons.
- Taurus – Spring
- Leo – Summer
- Scorpio – Fall
- Aquarius – Winter
Mutable signs fall toward the end of a season when the weather is changeable. Examples include snowfall just before the start of spring or summer-like weather right before autumn.
- Gemini – spring into summer
- Virgo – summer into autumn
- Sagittarius – autumn into winter
- Pisces – winter into spring
Join me on Patreon for weekly Tarot horoscopes and monthly personal readings.
Buy me a coffee if you enjoyed this post!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel if you haven’t already. 😊
Schedule a personal Tarot reading.
1 thought on “Modalities in Astrology”